Full course description
Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian (BCS) On the Ground is an asynchronous, self-paced introductory language and culture course, expected to take approximately 25 hours to complete. Through a variety of interactive videos, presentations, and activities, you will learn skills that will help you to engage with people and navigate situations in the countries where BCS is spoken. Throughout this course, you will learn and apply essential expressions and vocabulary of the target language to real-world situations, developing your reading, listening, and speaking skills along the way. You will also have the opportunity to grow your understanding and awareness of cultural differences between BCS-speaking countries and the United States, as you explore topics of cultural importance within each module.
What You Will Learn
Following the successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Read and pronounce BSC words and sentences in both the Latin and the Cyrillic alphabets.
- Recognize and use numbers in BCS.
- Greet people and introduce yourself.
- Identify major cities in the countries where BCS is spoken.
- Talk about and prepare for the weather and seasons.
- Discuss travel and transportation needs in basic terms.
- Ask for and understand directions.
- Indicate and ask when and where events happen or are located.
- Express basic needs.
- Learn about local food culture, grocery shopping, dining and ordering at a restaurant.
About Course Technology
This course uses H5P and ThingLink to provide interactive course content to learners in the form of interactive videos, interactive presentations, and more. In addition, this course incorporates a specific H5P content type called Speak the Words to offer speaking practice capabilities to learners. This content type presents some issues to users of assistive technology. If you require assistance in or experience difficulties completing assignments that use H5P Speak to Words, H5P, or ThingLink, please contact the College of Arts and Sciences Office of Distance Education at firstname.lastname@example.org. Accommodation and assistance will be arranged for you as appropriate free from penalty.
- Computer: Tablet and/or Smart Phone: Mac (OS X 10.10+) or PC (Windows 7+) computer; iPad/iPhone (iOS 7+) or Android (4.2+)
- Internet: High-speed internet connection
- Microphone: Built-in laptop or tablet mic or external microphone
- Browser: Google Chrome
Because this course relies heavily on interactive content created using H5P and ThingLink, it is highly recommended that you use Google Chrome when participating and completing activities within this course. Some content, particularly speaking practice activities, may not function in other browsers.
Accessibility for The College of Arts and Sciences ScarletCanvas courses relies on the following technologies to work with the particular combination of web browser and any assistive technologies or plugins installed on your computer:
These technologies are relied upon for conformance with the accessibility standards used.
If you have any questions about this course, please contact The Office of Distance Education at email@example.com.